So I thought I’d post up a bit about a few things that have happened recently.
Firstly Moirai has been taken offline and is no longer available to download. You can read the community announcement here. Shaun Prescott from PC Gamer interviewed me about it and wrote a good piece.
Back in May I did an interview with Angelo Valdivia from Player Attack. We talked about Expand, Moirai and the Slaughterhouse.
And lastly, the Indie Games Room at AVCon was a few weeks ago. This was my fifth year involved in volunteering for the event. Monkeystack put together this short video from the room on Sunday which was pretty neat.
Unfortunately it’s not looking like I’ll have anything to show. Been a bit busy lately with the Indie Games Room (Did you see our the promotional trailer?), Moirai (will post more about soon) and another thing I can’t talk about yet.
Recently I had a few idea for a bunch of new Twitter bots. I’m going to be working on these over the next few months. The first of these is the Mirrored Game Cover bot.
It takes popular game covers from Moby Games and creates two images one in which the left side of the image is mirrored over the right and the other where the right side is mirrored over the left. This idea came from a NeoGAF thread several years ago.
Here are some of the more notable tweets the bot has posted so far.
So over the last 6 weeks or so Catherine and I have been working on an extension for Hacknet called The Slaughterhouse. In it you break into the computer network of a meat company and expose its violations to the public. It takes about 2 hours to play through. You’ll need to have both Hacknet and the Labyrinths DLC to play the extension.
We’re quite happy with how it turned out. It takes a much more investigative and complex approach to the original game. We also hope that it challenges an audience that usually wouldn’t be exposed to this kind of material.
Just a quick post to that this week there be another games playtesting event at AIE. It’s been a while since we had one. My hope is that we’ll be running these a bit more frequently now but we’ll see. Anyway come along if you’re free.
Back in 2015, several months before releasing Expand I returned back to working a regular day job. As I’d previously been teaching at university this return meant that I was now programming full time for someone else, something I hadn’t done before. One of the downsides with programming jobs is that after work you feel less inclined to work on your own personal programming projects. This is a good thing. After sitting inside all day, it’s probably a good idea to get out and do something else.
Even so I feel inclined to still make stuff so I started playing around with Twitter bots. I started by making the Who’s That Poke’mon bot based on the Poke’mon TV show. Then I made three bots that would take a daily quote and display it in ASL, Auslan and Braille. One night I made a small bot called Powerball Bot that would randomly pick lottery numbers before the US lotteries. It’s kind of amusing to think that it’ll eventually pick a winning set of numbers.
Recently I made a new bot called How Bots See Art. It takes images of pieces from the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and describes them using Microsoft’s Computer Vision services. It’s produced some amusing results.
Currently I’m on my Christmas break and so I thought I’d make a small, festive game. That game is Candle Capers, a short PuzzleScript game about lighting candles. There are 10 levels. It should take less than 30 minutes to play through.
Over the last few days I’ve been tinkering around with PuzzleScript some more and have put together a new game called Light ’em Up. There are 10 levels. Should take less than 30 minutes to play through. Enjoy
I’ve just finished working on my first PuzzleScript game called Beetroot and Carrots. It’s based on a Japan only e-card reader game for Pikmin 2. Since I couldn’t play the game I figured that I might as well try to make it.
Originally I recreated the levels from scattered footage of the game and then created a set of my own levels. After doing some play testing I realised that a lot of the later levels became tedious and impenetrable so I decided to simplify the levels and strip out the coloured pads from the original game. The final game only uses one, altered level from the Pikmin games.
We were intending on having another playtesting event last month but it was cancelled due to the recent storm in Adelaide. Unfortunately I forgot to post up about that one. Either way we’re running a replacement event later this month. Here are the details. Hope to see people there.